Home > Answers
Twitter_small Linkedin_small Facebook_small

DG Answers is a community where people ask and answer questions about Dangerous Goods packaging.  Share your questions, facts, opinions and personal experiences with the DG Answers community...



Ask a question... Get an answer.

Answered Questions Ajax_loader



Can you test a product that already exists so that it can meet US Certification for Dangerous Goods by Road?
  1. Ajax_loader


Gary Lindsey, Dangerous Goods, a Division of Berlin Packaging

Thank you for your inquiry to our website!

I believe your question is: "Can we test other containers/packages, that we do not manufacture, to meet the regulatory requirements for the USA?"

And, depending on the application, yes, we can. We do use a third party test lab for all our UN certifications, but, if your package system requires changes and then testing for a single package or combination package mark, we can help in the design development and coordinate UN certification.

If UN certification is all you require, the US does acknowledge UN markings from other countries; and, with a few exceptions, is pretty much harmonized with the rest of the World in this area.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.



Does dry caffeine require hazardous labeling?
  1. Ajax_loader


Cathy Lada, Dangerous Goods, a Division of Berlin Packaging

Good question! The transportation section of your MSDS for dry caffeine will provide the proper hazard classification. The manufacturer should be able to provide the MSDS to you.



Is it possible to have two different UN Markings on the same product (one is CAN and one is USA)?
  1. Ajax_loader


Mike Thompson, Dangerous Goods, a Division of Berlin Packaging

Dual UN markings on packaging, while not seen very often, do occur for a variety of situations. Due to the fact that the UN marking signifies the specifics of the package (gross mass, packing group, or even country of manufacture) companies will often use dual markings to cover their bases on packages that are used in more than one way.

For example, we have packages that we place both UN markings on for Packing Group I and Packing Group II. The reason behind this is that the Packing Group I materials used in the package are typically at a lower specific gravity than the Packing Group II. By testing the package at 2 different specific gravities, we can let our end users know the gross mass acceptable for each case.

In your specific example, a dual marking for US and Canada would lead me to believe that the company manufacturers the package in two different countries (Toronto, Canada and Niagara Falls, NY for example). By putting both marks on the package, they can sell this carton in both countries without having to worry about an error in printing/embossing. I have never seen a package with dual country markings on it, though, because you can use packaging from another country without issue.

There could be different test criteria in the US and Canada. It is advised to have each UN certification on file (from both countries). I could go into more detail or research some more specifics if you could let me know a little more about your situation. You can contact me at Mike.Thompson@BerlinPackaging.com if you would like to discuss this more.



Where can I find regulatory updates affecting my hazmat/dangerous goods packaging?
  1. Ajax_loader


Cathy Lada, Dangerous Goods, a Division of Berlin Packaging

Good question! We cover important regulatory updates impacting the packaging of dangerous goods in our blog, DG Dialogue, as well as in our monthly DG e-newsletter.

Open Questions Ajax_loader