Home > Answers
Twitter_small Linkedin_small Facebook_small

DG Answers is a community where people ask and answer questions about Dangerous Goods packaging.  Share your questions, facts, opinions and personal experiences with the DG Answers community...



Ask a question... Get an answer.

Answered Questions Ajax_loader



what info is needed to fill out the packing Inst. column on an IATA haz declaration?
  1. Ajax_loader


Mike Thompson, Dangerous Goods, a Division of Berlin Packaging

Section 8 of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulation explains all required documentation. Section 8.1.5 is General Instructions for Completing the Declaration Form. Section 8.1.6 shows Detailed Instructions for Completing the Declaration Form. There are also examples of forms at the end of Section 8. The Packing Instruction column references the specific Packing Instruction for the regulated material you are shipping. This can be found in the List of Dangerous Goods in Section 4.2. It is listed in column G, I, or K depending on if you are shipping limited quantity, passenger and cargo aircraft, or cargo aircraft only.



The digits of the UN number represent any special code each one?
  1. Ajax_loader


Mike Thompson, Dangerous Goods, a Division of Berlin Packaging

Yes, the digits in UN markings have specific meanings, defined in the 49 CFR. For example, the first number represents the type of packaging that has been tested and certified. A “1” is a drum, a “2” is a barrel, and so forth. We have an online reference guide that will help you read a UN marking.



What is the proper shipping name for UN1504?
  1. Ajax_loader


Cathy Lada, Dangerous Goods, a Division of Berlin Packaging

The PSN is Sodium peroxide.



Can you test a product that already exists so that it can meet US Certification for Dangerous Goods by Road?
  1. Ajax_loader


Gary Lindsey, Dangerous Goods, a Division of Berlin Packaging

Thank you for your inquiry to our website!

I believe your question is: "Can we test other containers/packages, that we do not manufacture, to meet the regulatory requirements for the USA?"

And, depending on the application, yes, we can. We do use a third party test lab for all our UN certifications, but, if your package system requires changes and then testing for a single package or combination package mark, we can help in the design development and coordinate UN certification.

If UN certification is all you require, the US does acknowledge UN markings from other countries; and, with a few exceptions, is pretty much harmonized with the rest of the World in this area.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Open Questions Ajax_loader